Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:30:52 -0800
From:      "Rick Duvall" <rduvall@onlinehighways.net>
To:        "Technical Director" <trodat@ultratrends.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Verifying integrity of Backup Tapes

I was doing incrementals, and since my amverify failed on one of my tapes, I
found that doing incrementals in my case is a bad idea if I can fit a full
backup of all my data onto one tape.  Now I am doing a level 0 on every run.
Amverify get's to about the 6th filesystem I am dumping to tape and gives me
an Input/output error.  I know it's not the end of the tape, otherwise
amdump would say so.

FYI:  These are travan 10/20 tapes.  I know, not the best choice.  I am
trying to convince my boss to replace it with a DDS4 drive, as the DDS4
tapes are less expensive.  These are $40 a piece, whereas the DDS4's are $13
a piece and hold twice as much data.

Sincerely,

Rick Duvall