Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:18:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        stable@freebsd.org, nnd@nnd.itfs.nsk.su, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld -j2 problems

 * ===
 * scanner.o: tokdefs.h
 *
 * .ORDER: grammar.c tokdefs.h
 * tokdefs.h: grammar.c
 *         mv -f y.tab.h tokdefs.h
 *
 * ===
 *
 * (1) Why is the .ORDER required?  It seems to me that the line
 *     immediately following it should enforce exactly that.

I looked at the logs a bit more and found out why.  This part looks
like:

===
.ORDER: grammar.c tokdefs.h
tokdefs.h grammar.c: grammar.y
        ${YACC} ${YACCFLAGS} -d ${PCAP_DISTDIR}/grammar.y
        mv y.tab.c grammar.c
        mv y.tab.h tokdefs.h
===

in -current.  .ORDER might have been necessary here, but merging only
that line to -stable was bogus.  (Although I still don't quite see why
we need .ORDER -- they are both made from the same rule, it seems.)

 * (2) I'll try again after adding a "scanner.so: tokdefs.h" line.  But
 *     it seems to me that there should be a more elegant way to handle
 *     this.  (Don't we need to add a ".po" line too?)

The answer to this question is probably also in -current.  I'll see
about merging the 1.12 -> 1.13 fix:

===
1.13 Sun Jan 5 18:25:53 1997 by wollman

Fix Makefile so that dependencies are actually right this time.
It is almost always the wrong thing to put .y and .l files directly
into the SRCS.
===

Satoshi