Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:28:39 -0500
From:      "Nicolas C. colicchio" <ncolicc@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "WARNING: / was not properly dismounted" message at reboot time.

If someone has had this happen to them could they pass on how to get
arround it.
   I have a Pentium 90 machine with multiple OS's on it. FreeBSD is one
of them. I am reletively new to Unix and FreeBSD. I had partitioned my
first drive: OS/2 Boot manager/ MSDOS / Win95 / FreeBSD.
   I was trying to mount the different partiions to FreeBSD to identify
which dev/wd0s? was with witch partition. I had successfully  mounted
the MSDOS partition and was able to read it aswell mount the Win95
partition. I attempted the next one in line {/dev/wd0s4} in hind site i
should have guessed it was the OS/2 Boot manager partion. when I had
mounted the partition this triggered off something because some numbers
spewd across the bottom of the screen and the system rebooted itself.
   upon rebooting the kernel would load. I know this because I can see
the deviceses being polled. When it identifies the my pentium chip it
then gives me a message : Warning: / was not properly dismounted
It then sits there and does nothing. I tried Ctrl-Atl-Del after
sometime  the system then syncs itself and reboots. I have added the the
-v option at boot time and the additional messages before the warning
indicate that the dev/wd0s? I had mounted are listed.
    I guess I need to remove those from the boot sequence but I cannot
get past the warning message each time I reboot the machine. One of my
options is to re-install FreeBSD, however I don't think mounting an
incompatible partition should have gotten my into so much trouble.