Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:17:39 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installed ports dependency tree?

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 22:48:37 -0500
Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> 	Suppose I have installed ports A..Z.  Some of these are
> standakone; some depend on others on the list; others depend on
> installed ports not on the list.
> 	Is there a port that will produce a unified and ordered
> dependency list, such that upgrading/reinstalling in that order will
> avoid multiple rebuilds?  I though portupgrade could to this, but
> apparently not.

Portupgrade installs several pkg_* tools [1].  The pkg_glob and
pkg_sort tools might be what you're looking for.  Here's an
example:

  pkg_glob [package names] | pkg_sort

This produces a list for update order.  The man pages are quite
helpful for the pkg_* tools.

HTH,

Randy

[1]  Run "pkg_info -L portupgrade-\*" to see the complete packing
     list for portupgrade.