Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:19:47 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Martin Svensson <skydiver@telia.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Harddrive mount problems!

Hi,

Is the drive not still jumpered to be a master or single drive? I would
imagine that you went into the BIOs and did an detect hard drives.

You could also maybe try to disable the secondary ide controller and see
if that makes a difference.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 05:13:44PM +0200, Martin Svensson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I moved my harddrive från being secondary master to primary slave on the motherboard. Both the harddrives is using LBA mode in BIOS (award).
>
> No i am not sure what my harddrive is called. This is what my previous /etc/fstab looked like. But the /home directory was not commented out, i did this now because it doesn't work when i boot. I get this error message when i boot.

> /dev/ad0s1a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> /dev/ad0s1a: Clean, blah blah..
>
> ad2: READ command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting done.
>
> ata-master: WARNING: WAIT-READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
> ad2: trying fallback to PIO mode
> ata1: resetting devices... done.
>
> <now the computer locks up, stop responding, i have waited for like 15 minutes>
>
> MY /etc/fstab
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> #/dev/ad1s1e            /home           ufs     rw              2       2

It won't mount it if this is commented, but I guess you know that. It might
also not check it.

> /dev/ad0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/acd0c             /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
>
> When i do 'fdisk /dev/ad1' (which i believe to be my secondary slave) i get this:

> mars# fdisk /dev/ad1
> ******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=1108 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=1108 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 63, size 17799957 (8691 Meg), flag 80 (active)
>         beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
>         end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 254
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> <UNUSED>
> mars#
>
> Like i said before, in BIOS my harddrives are in LBA mode, i autodetected then in bios. Please help me get back my /home partition, I got some useful information there.

If all else fails you could always change it back to being a secondary
master like before. Your data should still be there.

> Thankyou in advance
>
> Martin

Best Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist.
		-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3