Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 1995 17:56:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ain.charm.net>
To:        HOSOKAWA Tatsumi <hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp>
Cc:        todd@water.eng.mcmaster.ca, questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: support for Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet adapters?

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, HOSOKAWA Tatsumi wrote:

> >> Is there support for the PCMCIA Xircom Creditcard Ethernet Adapter IIPS
> >> in FreeBSD-2.0, or is anyone working on implementing it?  Would it be
> >> compatible with any of the supported PCMCIA Ethernet adapters?  If anyone
> >> is working on support for it, I'm willing to test.  Alternatively, I could
> >> work on this project if I had the proper technical documentation.
>
> I heard Xircom hates free software, and I've not heard that their
> policy had changed.  So you won't read any technical documentation as
> long as you want to use it for free software.

Doesn't Linux have a driver supporting some Xircom hardware? I could have
sworn I have seen those running around. Moreover, I still haven't figured
out why companies that make *hardware* hate free software? Its not like
making free software will reduce the purchases or profit margins of their
hardware, in fact, it will probably increase them. [software doesn't make
much sense without hardware]. --How could we run FreeBSD without several
megabytes of RAM? Texas Instruments and/or Micron aren't going to say
their chips aren't designed to be used with free software.

Ah well...

-Jerry.