Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 23:18:13 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        chris@calldei.com, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, jamie@exodus.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 10:51:32PM -0500, Chris Costello wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > I have to say that Jamie really let us down by not running a raw
> > > tcpdump alongside the second targetted machine here.  Any chance of
> > > provoking these people into "demonstrating" the exploit on a machine,
> > > while another connected to the same wire is running
> >
> > I'd say he or whomever first reported this to bugtraq let us down even
> > more by releasing an "advisory" in such an unknown and unverifyable
> > state.  By doing so, all they've done is hand ammunition to the FUD
> > corps and given us no reasonable chance to respond since the advisory
>
>    I get the impression that that was the whole point of the
> bugtraq post, to give us more grief.

Ding!

Give that man a cigar.

Anyone who saw this done to one machine and didn't *immediately* configure
machine #2 to trap and trace on the second instance deserves raspberries -
at a minimum.

Its one thing to have it done "anyonmously" (among other things you might
not be there when it goes "boom" under those conditions!)  Its another to
have it done under controlled conditions and neither get an explanantion
OR trap the condition that caused it yourself with a tcpdump trace.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: fathers.denninger.net
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.