Date:      Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:50:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      madsen@vijit.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unassociated shell command when building kernel

> If there is an old one, it's in the object tree.  But maybe there isn't,
> keep reading for my guess.

Do you know how to get at the old one? Or know where there are instructions
on how to do so?

> >2)  If that isn't the problem, how can I find out what is?
>
> I'm thinking a perusal of /usr/src/UPDATING ... but IANAE.

I've checked it.  There's nothing there that I've seen that seems to
help out.  If there is, I've passed it and didn't understand its
significance.

> >Dave Madsen ---dcm
>
> My guess: it's likely your "make" is out of date.  See /usr/ports/UPDATING,
> entry 20040728.  If your "world" is older than that date, it's almost
> certainly the issue.  OTOH, if you're building kernels often (say,
> monthly?) and your world is last July or earlier, I'd have thought
> the problem to be older than one month.
>
> Are you also regularly building world?  They really need to
> be kept m/l in sync.

I build world and kernel about once a week.  I've been getting this
error for a while, and thought it might go away if I gave it some time,
like other errors have done in the past.  It hasn't.

> Now, I could be wrong, and often am; but it's worth thinking
> about, and seems quite possible.

Thanks for your assistance!  (You're the only one who's responded!)

> Kevin Kinsey

Dave Madsen ---dcm
adsenmay atay ijitvay otday omcay