Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 21:09:36 -0400
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Robert Swindells" <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Call for testers for ThunderLAN ethernet driver

FWIW the built-in Am79C971 on my notebook computer with the lnc driver in
2.2.6 and 3.0 will not initialize as the read_csr() call to CSR0 never
returns with IDON set.  It can be forced by substituting a direct call to
inw(iobase + 10) ala the lance.c driver from linux which then leads to a
"Device timeout -- Resetting" error from lnc_watchdog when using ifconfig.
Walking the registers shows initialization has taken place with realistic
values (don't know how to check physical memory mapping values yet) but the
ring length settings are confusing - CSR76 @ 0xfff8 and CSR78 @ 0x48
although both are set in the init_block at 2^3.

This computer works fine with drivers for MS-DOS, Win95 and Linux (lance.c)
so it appears that the chip implementation is probably correct per the
design sheets.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>