Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 08:40:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        Simon Griffiths <simon.griffiths@satin.net>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X Windows

[ On Tuesday, June 1, Simon Griffiths wrote: ]
> Hi
>
> Im trying my hardest to get my mouse working in the configuration
> section of x windows, but to no avail.  My com port ttyd0 works fine as
> I tested it using minicom and a modem, but using all possible
> configuration in x's file it just wont work!!  It isn't the mouse that
> works fine.  Are there any other hidden files Im not aware of?  Someone
> please suggest something, cause this is driving me maaaddddd!!!!!

Well, somebody suggested that if you're using "moused" to point to /dev/sysmouse.

I recently installed X on a 3.1-RELEASE system (just the other night) and
ran into the same sort of problems you're facing--which I'd seen in the past
with a friend's computer.

I have a Logitech MouseMan+ ps/2 mouse. It is auto-detected just fine on
boot, I can run moused and "vidcontrol -m on" to get mouse stuff on the
console just fine.

However, when I ran the XF86Setup program, NOTHING I put in made it understand
there was a mouse. I tried using SysMouse and /dev/sysmouse (as the X README
says), then I stopped moused and tried using /dev/psm and my Logitech
MouseMan, etc. All attempts failed. I could load the X server but when it
got up and asked me if I wanted to save the config file ... of course I had
no mouse and thus couldn't click the freakin' button.

In desparation, I used the clunky xf86config ASCII configuration program and
chugged through its questions. When I got done I edited this file and made
sure I was pointing to /dev/sysmouse and using the SysMouse type protocol (since
if memory serves, it didn't offer SysMouse and /dev/sysmouse as options to a
mouse device ...).

Then I fired up XF86Setup and used the previous config file as a starting
point. The mouse WAS seen this time!!! (and then I was able to configure things
with the GUI quite easily).

So, perhaps you can do that--use the xf86config program to do all or part of
the configuration--and make sure you're successfully running "moused" (by
saying "vidcontrol -m on" and seeing if you can select-n-paste on the text
console with your mouse).

Does anyone know why XF86Setup chokes even when everything is correctly setup
for it?

-Jr