Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:18:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heinz Suez <malagana15@yahoo.es>
To:        Jon Strait <jstrait@moonloop.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Kernel panic only after power-on, never after reboot.

That page fault error seems to be related to memory. I used to have the same kernel panic as well and removed 1 of 2 memory sticks and solved the problem but got only one memory stick now.

Jon Strait <jstrait@moonloop.net> escribió:  I power on my FreeBSD 6.0 Release system every morning and within 20
minutes, the kernel panics. Then it reboots and I never see a panic
again as long as my system stays powered. It is almost always because
of a page fault. From doing a backtrace on the dumps from 30+ seperate
panics over the last couple of months, the instruction pointer is always
at a different code location.

So, it's certainly some kind of hardware issue, but the behavior of
never having a kernel panic happen after a reboot, makes me think that a
part of the hardware is not getting fully powered up and initialized
before the kernel begins to load. Is there a BIOS setting to slow
things down? Or maybe a kernel parameter to tweak for greater hardware
fault tolerance?

I ran memtest86 for a couple of days (the recommended 64 passes) with no
errors. I realize that this test could possibly result in a false
negative, but I don't want to run out and buy a new mobo and RAM if that
isn't the problem.

My hardware is:
mobo: ABIT KX7-333 with VIA Apollo KT 333 chipset
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1667 Mhz)
Memory: Generic PC2700 - 133 DDR
The video, sound, and NIC cards have already been factored out of the
problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Jon