Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:36:20 +0100
From:      Feargal Reilly <feargal@helgrim.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem full error with inumber

--Sig__OO9Hn/Hx63q2El2JS_hFj3

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:07:19 -0400
Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com> wrote:

>=20
> Feargal Reilly presumably uttered the following on 07/24/06
> 11:48:

> >>  > Looking again at dumpfs, it appears to say that this is
> >>  > formatted with a block size of 8K, and a fragment size of
> >>  > 2K, but tuning(7) says:  [...]
> >>  > Reading this makes me think that when this server was
> >>  > installed, the block size was dropped from the 16K
> >>  > default to 8K for performance reasons, but the fragment
> >>  > size was not modified accordingly.
> >>  >=20
> >>  > Would this be the root of my problem?
> >>
> >> I think a bsize/fsize ratio of 4/1 _should_ work, but it's
> >> not widely used, so there might be bugs hidden somewhere.
> >>
> >=20
> > Such as df not reporting the actual data usage, which is now
> > my best working theory. I don't know what df bases it's
> > figures on, perhaps it either slowly got out of sync, or
> > more likely, got things wrong once the disk filled up.
> >=20
>
> One of my machines that I recently upgraded to 6.1
> (6.1-RELEASE-p3) is also exhibiting df reporting wrong data
> usage numbers. Notice the negative "Used" numbers below:
>=20
> > df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1a    496M     63M    393M    14%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/da0s1e    989M   -132M    1.0G   -14%    /tmp
> /dev/da0s1f     15G    478M     14G     3%    /usr
> /dev/da0s1d     15G   -1.0G     14G    -8%    /var
> /dev/md0       496M    228K    456M
> 0%    /var/spool/MIMEDefang devfs          1.0K    1.0K
> 0B   100%    /var/named/dev
>=20
> Sven

For the record, my problems occured with 5.4-PRERELEASE #1
which, for reasons beyond my control, I had not yet been unable
to upgrade.

What bsize/fsize ratio are you using? Mine was 4/1 instead of
the more usual 8/1.

BTW, anybody know what the best method be for double-checking
df's figures would be? du?

--=20
Feargal Reilly.
PGP Key: 0x847DE4C8 (expires: 2006-11-30)
Web: http://www.helgrim.com/ | ICQ: 109837009 | YIM: ectoraige
Visit http://ie.bsd.net/ - BSDs presence in Ireland

--Sig__OO9Hn/Hx63q2El2JS_hFj3

--Sig__OO9Hn/Hx63q2El2JS_hFj3--