Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
Cc:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Previous Message on /etc/defaults

On 10-Jul-00 Jonathan Smith wrote:

>> Err, all the options are still listed in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and are
>> documented in the rc.conf manpage (or should be).
>>

> True.  And it actually looks more detailed than what's in the rc.conf
> files.  :) It also means flipping windows.  While for 'experts' and those
> of us who've been using this a few years, yes, it's doable or even second
> nature.  It also means cut-and-paste, which is not as easy as simply
> replacing the text.
>
>> > As I said, my suggestion also makes it quite obvious that the defaults are
>> > just that.
>>
>> Except that in practice your suggestion would result in many users breaking
>> their systems.  As it is now in -current and 4-stable, you can copy the
>> existing defaults/rc.conf into /etc and edit it if you want.
>>

> Breaking the system?  Yes, I can see that.  *scratches his head* When you
> remove win.ini, on teh other hand, you get better performance...  Sorry, i
> just don't buy that.  If you remove files in /etc, or /boot, or
> /usr/local/etc, you break things.  I can see the point in redundancy on
> rc.conf, but it just leaves me feeling a bit quesy to think about this
> argument.

Breaking things by having to stick code in /etc/rc.conf to suck in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, and when some newbie deletes it accidentally and
their system can't start up things because they don't have
portmap_enable="YES" in their /etc/rc.conf for example.  For example, right
now I'm reworking a rc.network and pccard_ether a lot.  Unless you update
your defaults/rc.conf and include it when you upgrade, your network interfaces
won't be setup.  However, if you just put the differences in /etc/rc.conf
and still use defaults/rc.conf, then I can stick default values for needed
variables in defaults/rc.conf and your old /etc/rc.conf will work fine.

Further, from sysinstall's perspective, the old rc.conf was a major pain
to try to maintain.  Remember the old 2.2.2 bug where sysinstall would
reappend all your comments to the end of each line every time you ran it?
Having to maintain a set of code at the beginning and allow for customization
of it, etc. would be even _worse_.