Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:35:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        taob@risc.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New team roster list!  (was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge)

> On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Charles Henrich wrote:
> >
> > One thing Im curious about is what happens to the $1000 if vex wins?
> > if we had a freebsd.org team at least freebsd would benefit..
>
>     Remember, it's RSA who awards the prize.  It would be reasonable
> to say that genx.net will get the $10000 if their effort finds the
> key.  If so, I read they will donate $9000 to charity, and $1000 to
> the winning host that found the key.  I suppose it is then up to that
> person to spend the money as he or she sees fit.

Thats right.  And genx has said that $1000 will go to the host, and $1000 to
the winning team.. vex is the team, and what will vex do with it?  See my
point?  It is more in FreeBSD's best interest to have its own team, if they win
then the OS gets $1000 for development..

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich