Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:05:31 -0700
From:      "Dan Trainor" <dan@ript.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: State of the ports collection

What's going to happen to all these ports that still depend on file
locations in the 4.5 release(s)?  The reason I ask is that I see that
now we're going to have to make two kinds of ports - one for 4.x and one
for 5.x, or are header files and stuff like that stored as global
variables... or something.  Kris Kennaway talked a bit about moving
specific headers (and possibly more) to different locations:

:: * (>27 ports) The <machine/soundcard.h> header was moved, breaking
:: * (>35 ports) Something caused sys_nerr to change prototypes.  It
     looks like this might be because the definition of __const from
     <sys/ctypes.h> has changed, but I can't see why.  See for example

I don't know, it was just something that concerned me.  I'd hate to see
version-specific ports, and I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that.

- dt
- dan@ript.org