Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:47:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

> Considering the number of hosts on the net today, which come and
> go with no warning and with dynamic IP assignments, I would propose
> that we disregard what the "old farts" felt about TCP keepalives,
> and enable the sysctl net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive as default.
>
> Setting this will make all TCP connections send a probing ACK every
> couple of hours if no other activity were present on the connection,
> this enables the TCP stack to figure out if the other end has gone
> or is still there.
>
> The typical symptom that you need this is that netstat shows many
> connections which have been standing there for any amount of time
> up to your uptime, simply because your machine is waiting to receive
> something from the other end, and for all practical purposes, "the
> other end" doesn't exist anymore.

I have no problem with this, though the traffic load created by
the aggregate base of installed FreeBSD boxes over the global
internet might even be measurable :-).

> The argument against is that this will increas trafic and keep
> dynamic lines up when they should otherwise have been allowed to
> fall down.
>
> The former argument doesn't hold water, since we're talking about
> a TCP segment per hour (or less) per connection.
>
> The second argument falls on the same reasoning in my book, I don't
> know of any on-demand lines with a timeout longer than 10 minutes
> anyway.

Well, we run many at 1 to 3 hours, but then they have ``activity filters''
that could be tweaked to not consider these packets as real traffic so
they would still timeout.

I would rather save the connection table for things that are useful
than save a few port/hours of connect time :-).  This may have more
drastic effects for others though.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD