Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:58:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   NFS mount question

I have an odd symptom, suddenly.  When I first brought up 2.0 on Journey2,
I got the cdrom using ftp from n3lxx, my 1.1.5.1 machine.  Since then, to
give myself visibility to the 2.0 cdrom on Journey2, I mounted it on
n3lxx's /cdrom directory, then did an nfs mount from Journey2 to
n3lxx:/cdrom.  This worked ok until today.

Today, my other nfs mounts between both machines work ok, but whenever I
try to mount n3lxx:/cdrom from Journey2, Journey2 waits for the mount,
giving occaisonal portmap timeout error warnings, and I get one new
mountd process *each second* started on n3lxx.  I can kill the mountd
processes on n3lxx, but they create so fast, I have to quickly reboot or
I think I'd risk overflowing a resource somewhere (I probably have more
than 100 mountd processes by that time).  Portmap's alive on both
machines, and the other mounts still work fine, I checked it both before
and after the cdrom mount attempt.  Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks.  These toys are *wonderful*!

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!