Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:57:03 -0700
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processor Motherboards

Bill Maniatty wrote:

> Hello There:
>
> I was looking to make an affordable, yet high performance home machine
> using a dual processor board.  I want to be able to run the most recent
> stable release, and was going to get Intel based processors.  I would
> like the processors to be fairly speedy, say 400-500 MHZ.  Since I'm going
> to live with the system for quite a while, I might want it to be kind
> of fast (but not prohibitively expensive).
>
> I had the following questions:
> 1) Do people have specific recommendations about boards to buy/don't buy?
> 2) A local vendor is pushing Soyo boards at a $239 which is below the $400+
>    prices I have seen quoted for an AsusTek P2B-DS board.  I assume they
>    mean a SY-D6IBA or SY-D6IBA2.  Anybody have any experiences with such
>    a board?

I was going to try a system built around an ABIT BP6

Dual Socket 370 Processor ATX Mother-Board
              . Ultra DMA66
              . Intel 440BX AGPset
              . 5 PCI / 2 ISA / 1 AGP Slots
              . 3 x 168-pin Memory Slots up to 768Mb

Takes 2 Celery chips.  The board can be had for under $140, and the
Celeries are around $100 each for the 400mhz ones.

My reasearch says this should be the best bang for the buck.  No on
board anything, so you will have to go buy a few boards.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (650)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088