Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:08:09 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Proper disaster recovery techniques

We have a FreeBSD box that went belly up last night -- it's no longer
bootable.  Fortunately, it's not yet a production server, so I wanted
to do the disaster recovery thoughtfully, as opposed to quickly.

The box is 3.1-stable, and it has lost at *least* the bootloader, and
perhaps the root partition.  The scary thing is that it wasn't a disk
failure -- all volumes are on the DPT RAID controller, and we didn't
loose RAID.  Some software thing must have clobbered the volume, and
that's a Bad Thing.

Anyway, when trying to boot the machine, I get a

     Not UFS
     no kernel
     no /boot/loader

My thoughts are to boot from installation floppy, examine the
partition table, and perhaps re-disklable the root volume.  If that
doesn't work, I guess I may have to reinstall the OS and restore
everything from backup tape :-(

Anyone here have experience with really-dead boxes (especially a
similar situation) , and the best way to revive them?

As to the crash itself, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what caused it.
the console displayed:

vm_fault: pagereader, pid 59232 (sshd1)
spec_getpages: I/O read failure (error code = 5)
  size: 24576, resid: 24576, a_count 24576 valid 0x0
  nread:0 readpage:0 pindex:0 pcount:6

My *guess* is that sshd1 failed because of the OS failure (not the
other way around: the sshd1 daemon overwriting the low sectors), but
that's just a guess.

Thanks!

--Mark