Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:14:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        mike@2gen.net (Michael DeMutis)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUp, MakeWorld, uname -a reports 3.3-RELEASE #0, Why?

As I recall, Michael DeMutis wrote:
> I download all the sources, and run a make world.
>
> After compiling all and installing all, my uname -a reports:
>
> FreeBSD tristo.netinc.ca 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16
> 23:40:35 GMT 1999     jkh@highwing.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
> i386
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Yes.

You didn't make (or perhaps install) a new kernel.  The kernel
you're running is the GENERIC one built by Jordan Hubbard (jkh) as
part of the 3.3 release process.  You can tell from the above
message.

The handbook can lead you through the process.

Approximately, however, you'd:

1)  cd /sys/i386/conf
2)  config GENERIC
3)  cd /sys/compile/GENERIC
4)  make
5)  su root
6)  make install
7)  reboot

Once you feel comfortable about that, you might want to customize
the kernel for your machine.  You can remove all the drivers for
devices you don't have, making the kernel leaner and meaner.  In
/sys/i386/conf/LINT is very well documented kernel config file that
will help you understand what lines you'd want in your custom file.
You'd probably want to make a copy of the GENERIC file (the one you
just built), named something that makes sense to you.  Then edit it
to delete stuff you don't need, config and make and install.

Have fun!

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net