Date:      Fri, 27 May 2005 23:46:04 +0200
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux/FreeBSD Channel Bonding Interoperability

--=-ZBo62gh4VTcqt/UyqEaB

Le Vendredi 27 mai 2005 =E0 11:27 -0700, Julian Elischer a =E9crit :

	Moved to net@.

> Florent Thoumie wrote:
>=20
> >	Hey list.
> >
> >	I'm advocating for FreeBSD for about 6 months now where I'm=20
> >	working and they have the project to build their own router=20
> >	(which will probably be based on WRAP).
> >
> >	The good point is that the actual solution is running Linux
> >	but it's not highly reliable. The bad point is that they're=20
> >	using channel bonding (on both peers) and they don't want to=20
> >	change one (or at least the system it runs).
> >
> >	I've read about ng_fec and ng_onetomany, so I know channel=20
> >	bonding is quite easy (seems so, according to web pages I've=20
> >	found) but I guess FreeBSD and Linux won't work correctly.
> >	If that's the case, I wondered if it could be much aspossible to add a=20
> >	new node to "translate" stuff so that both could communicate=20
> >	correctly.
> > =20
> >
>=20
>=20
> how you do it depends entirely on how they are doing the bonding in Linux=
.
> you do not give any clues as to what modules they are using.

	After some investigation, it seems they are using teql on=20
	Linux, which is different from bonding (bonding doesn't seem
	to be able to use two different connections types, especially=20
	when these are not ethernet). I'd like to aggregate one ADSL=20
	line with a SDSL line. I'm not sure teql works like=20
	ng_onetomany. Stephen Montgomery-Smith told me by private email
	that he knew somebody who successfully used Linux and FreeBSD=20
	together to do bonding. I really need to try it, I'm just=20
	lacking some hardware at the moment.

--=20
Florent Thoumie
flz@xbsd.org