Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 04:40:27 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SCSI card recommendations

Note: Reply text moved to bottom to preserve context.

	Anthony, it wasn't connected to a Seagate drive by any chance, was it?
That combination has been known to be volatile for some time now.

> I don't think this was a hardware defect, just a
> consequence of having
> a card that was too fast for the rest of the machine.

	I somehow find that hard to believe, unless you tried to put this card in
maybe a 486 or a Socket 5 Pentium...

> I then discovered that
> it's not on the hardware list for FreeBSD (I am running 4.3).

	It's not on the hardware list (I actually had to confirm that, since I
didn't believe it), but this card has been running under FreeBSD since
version 4.2, possibly earlier.  I'm going to guess and say that it was
simply an oversight that it wasn't mentioned in the hardware.txt file for
4.3-Release.  See:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/160/2001/4/0/5566808/

	For discussion from April of this year.

> replaced it
> with a 2930UW, and now everything works perfectly.  Unless you
> really need U160
> (and it sounds like you don't have anything that requires it at
> the moment),
> consider a cheaper card.

	Charles, if you plan to run more than one drive on that controller, or go
to a U160 drive in the future, it's not a bad investment.  Consider that you
could put 2 80 MB/s drives on that controller, run vinum and see a
performance gain...

> I only needed the card for external
> things like tape
> drives, so a 29160N was overkill, anyway.

	I'll agree with that.  That's why I have a spare 40 MB/s chain for external
devices on my workstation.

--- Andy