Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 04:20:11 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        bad bob <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        free <alpha@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PDP10 simulator on FreeBSD Alpha?

bad bob wrote:
> Thanks for the note Terry, but no, I am thinking of just exactly what
> I said - pdp10sim, with tops 20.  I have one running under NetBSD,
> on an alpha, I have a couple that I run on an AMD Tbird box under
> Freebsd, but I am still having trouble with the BPF device and
> allowing tops20 to be telnet'd into...

What is the exact error message?  This should work fine on the
Alpha, if it works fine on the x86 version of FreeBSD.  The only
real difference is the size of non-sized types (e.g. "long" and
"pointer") and alignment.  If it's an alignment error, it should
be "automagically" fixed up (but the code will complain about it).
As you say you're having a problem, it's probably an assumption
about type size somewhere (I believe NetBSD and FreeBSD have a
difference of option about the size of int or long -- I can't
remember which -- John Baldwin would know, and so would Drew).

> There are 3 available simulators:
> KLH10 from Ken Harrenstein, this is a KL10B simulator that can run
> tops10/20, its.

KL10

> TS10 from Tim Stark, this is a 2020 or KS10 simulator that runs tops 20
> etc.

KS10

KS10.  See http://mywebpages.comcast.net/asunnet/pdp10/t10inst.txt .

> Here is one URL to get to the simulators.
> http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp10emu.html

Cool.  I might have to try this out myself (not that I'm really
jonesing for TECO or anything.  8-)).

Actually, I have a 9-Track tape containing code I originally wrote
in college.  Amongst other things, it has a DCL interpreter that
I wrote in a combination of C and Harris H-800/H-1000/H-1200
assembly language.  I really missed the DEC-20 when it was taken
off line and retired.  8-).

I'm guessing that people who are *really* into emulators could
probably run the code "as is".  8-) 8-).

-- Terry