Date:      23 Feb 2002 21:23:59 +1130
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Cc:        John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recommendation not to purchase DWL-1000AP

On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 20:30, Pete Fritchman wrote:
> |  1) you have a Windoze machine handy to configure the AP
>
> If you can manage to get the new firmware onto the AP, you can use
> web-based configuration (but you'll need a windows machine to do
> that...)

No you don't.. The firmware upgrade for the AP is done using tftp.

> |  2) you intend on hanging this AP off another D-link "all in one" router/natd
> |     boxes -OR- you intend on hanging it off a hub (not switch).
>
> I currently have it hanging off a switch right now with no problems.

Same..

> |  3) you have lots of patience for very shotty setup software and manufacturers
> |     who put the wrong MAC address stickers on their hardware (not kidding).
>
> Yep, same here... I ended up getting the MAC address by looking at the
> latest lease on the DHCP server after plugging the AP in.

Hmm.. I didn't have a problem.. The Windows s/w found my AP with no
problems and it's connected to a switch.

You can configure it under FreeBSD using SNMP, and there is a project on
sourceforge which can send magic packets to configure it without an IP.

BTW on my network it automatically picked up a DHCP lease which made
life easier..

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum