Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:14:44 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Woody Carey <wcarey@cs.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Stefanos Kiakas <stefanos@ringworld.uniscape.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD.

Woody Carey wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Stefanos Kiakas wrote:

> gui sysadmin tools are a nice thing, for sure, though, for newbies and
> more experience users alike.

I think a better first pass is to give users a ready-to-run
out-of-the-box configuration with X-Windows set up for 640x480, and
Mozilla, and Apache. Eivind Eklund gave me some hints towards doing this
as a setup option during the install. GUI administration cuts to the
heart of what BSD is all about, which is that everything is a text file,
and any command can pipe to any other. It's better to provide a tutorial
to Tcl/Tk/expect and show them how they can roll their own admin tools.
If we try to be micros**t-like we will inevitably be compared to them,
and they've got more cheap programmers and more PR money (!).