Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:26:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CARP + multiple addresses

Hi,

I'm building a fail-over setup with two database servers,
so when the first one fails, the second takes over.  The
data is replicated.

So far it seems to work fine with CARP, but now it turned
out that I need another address from a different subnet
which also needs to access the database.  What's the best
way to do that?  Add a second IP address to the existing
carp interface, or create a new carp interface?  Are there
any pros and cons?

I.e. currently it looks like this:

Database server A:

    bge0:  physical interface
    vlan101:  10.1.101.41/24 on bge0
    vlan202:  10.1.202.41/24 on bge0
    carp0:  10.1.101.40/32 vhid 1

Database server B:

    bge0:  physical interface
    vlan101:  10.1.101.42/24 on bge0
    vlan202:  10.1.202.42/24 on bge0
    carp0:  10.1.101.40/32 vhid 1

And now I need to add an IP address from vlan202 which
also needs to access the same database.  I'm inclined to
add 10.1.202.40/32 vhid 1 to the existing carp0 on both
servers.  I assume that the CARP interface goes to BACKUP
when *any* of its IP addresses fail, right?  Can anybody
confirm this, please?

So, would that work, or is there a better way?

Any hints are appreciated!

Best regards
   Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton