Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:43:00 +0100
From:      Barrie Archer <enquiry@myarcher.net>
To:        Ryan Steinmetz <zi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: p5-Git-Repository

   Thanks for your quick response. I suspected that it might be FreeBSD
   version issue.
   As you say it would be good to have a version check.
   Regards
   Barrie

   On 07/07/2014 14:44, Ryan Steinmetz wrote:

     On (07/07/14 14:10), Barrie Archer wrote:

       Trying to install p5-Git-Repository on a FreeBSD 8.2 system I get
     the
       errors below. I fetched the latest ports and p5-Git-Repository was
     at
       version 1.311 which appears to be the latest. Could you tell me
     why I
       am getting these errors please.
       Thanks
       Barrie Archer

     Barrie,
     This is caused by the following commit:
     [1]http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/Mk/bsd.sites.mk?r1=351892&r2
     =352986
     FreeBSD 8.2 lacks support for :tl.  You will need to upgrade to a
     supported release (8.4) to eliminate the error.  Alternatively, as a
     workaround, you would reverse the commit in your local ports tree.
     You
     might run into other issues though.
     portmgr,
     We should either add workarounds for older systems or a warning
     that will be printed if a user is running a FreeBSD release that
     lacks
     required functionality for the ports tree to function.
     The above commit basically means a user must be running FreeBSD 8.4,
     9.1
     (or higher).
     -r

       [root@unicorn ~]# cd /usr/ports/devel/p5-Git-Repository
       [root@unicorn /usr/ports/devel/p5-Git-Repository]# make install
       Unknown modifier 't'
       Unknown modifier 't'
       Unknown modifier 't'
       Unknown modifier 't'
       "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk", line 953: Malformed conditional
       (!empty(_PERL_CPAN_ID) && ${_PERL_CPAN_FLAG:tl} == "cpan")
       Unknown modifier 't'
       Unknown modifier 't'
       "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2877: Unclosed conditional/for
     loop
       "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2877: Unexpected end of file in
     for
       loop.
       "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6606: Unclosed conditional/for
     loop
       "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6606: Unexpected end of file in
     for
       loop.
       1 open conditional:
                at line 1177 (evaluated to true)
       make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
       --Certified Virus Free by 4SecureMail.com ICSA-Certified Scanner--

   --Certified Virus Free by 4SecureMail.com ICSA-Certified Scanner--