Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:51:16 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

> Considering the number of hosts on the net today, which come and
> go with no warning and with dynamic IP assignments, I would propose
> that we disregard what the "old farts" felt about TCP keepalives,
> and enable the sysctl net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive as default.

Seeing as the amount of traffic and congestion in the Internet, I
propose we diregard what the 'old fart' PHK says and not increase the
congestion with the use of keepalives. :)

The 'old farts' did a good job of designing a system that happens to
work better than all of the systems the 'young farts' were able to
design.

PHK's arguments are specious, since *any* traffic when the link is
congested is more congestion.

> The argument against is that this will increas trafic and keep
> dynamic lines up when they should otherwise have been allowed to
> fall down.
>
> The former argument doesn't hold water, since we're talking about
> a TCP segment per hour (or less) per connection.

That's still traffic, and congestion is congestion.  On one systems that
isn't a lot, but with alot of connections it can add up to a significant
amount of bandwidth.

> The second argument falls on the same reasoning in my book, I don't
> know of any on-demand lines with a timeout longer than 10 minutes
> anyway.

You don't know of any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Nate