Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:17:28 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>, "void" <float@firedrake.org>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell@ufp.org>, "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, "MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FYI

well Doug, there's a reason you got those as private mails instead of public
posts - because this isn't the viewpoint of the FreeBSD community.

>and 2 or 3 mails (from Ben, among others) saying that
>BSD-licensed was preferred.

Preferred doesen't mean we are going to throw the baby out with the bathwater
and turn up our nose at anyone's effort with FreeBSD.

>Either approach is as flawed as someone who claims GPL only or GPL
>preferred.  The license terms of add-on drivers and products should be set
>according to the needs of the authoring person or company, in my opinion.

This is a perfectly valid viewpoint that a lot of companies share which is
why they don't include their drivers.  For example Sangoma, and Emerging don't
include FreeBSD drivers either - but they make them available from their own
websites.  In My Humble Opinion this is inferior than just giving the binaries
over to the project and letting the drivers be handed out where they may,
but those companies and you are welcome to do it that way if you prefer.