Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:26:51 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PETSc

  I sent off a note to the PETSc maintainers last week and received
a reply this morning.  The upshot was:

  Their build environment does a lot of "include this/config/file"
kind of syntax, and FreeBSD's make did not understand the "include ..."
syntax.  (Checking the CVS logs shows whether "include ..." is understood
is contained within a SYSV compatability #define, which defaulted
to "off" until 2 years ago.)  I guess this also says something about
the age of the system that they were using.

  They polled their mailing list of users, and only one user was
using FreeBSD, and was also in the process of converting to Linux.
So, given: 1. no FreeBSD demand for their software (according to
their ftp logs), 2. no apparent users, and 3. an apparently broken
make, I guess I can understand their wording.

  They did say that they would be changing the wording of the page
to reflect the fact that the software will work with later versions
of FBSD.
--
Jonathan