Date:      Fri,  1 Oct 2004 13:31:32 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Everywhere (Linksys) NP100 PCMCIA card

I have an older laptop (Thinkpad 365XD) that I'm trying to bring
(somewhat) up to speed.  It has no onboard ethernet, but it does have two
16-bit PCMCIA slots.  I picked up the only 16-bit network card I could
find at a local retailer, which was the Network Everywhere (i.e. low-end
Linksys) NP100 card.  The card works fine under Windows (and even DOS).

I installed FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 onto the laptop, built a kernel with OLDCARD
options, and enabled pccardd.  When I insert the network card into the
slot, it is recognized correctly and attached to the 'ed' driver.
However, the detected MAC address is wrong (it begins 1b:...), and the
card seems to operate in "write-only" mode.  For instance, a request for
a DHCP lease will be sent and the server will respond, but the laptop
never reads the response and eventually gets a timeout error.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experince with this card (good
or bad) under any 4.x or 5.x version of FreeBSD.  I found a few threads
on Google but none of them seemed applicable (except perhaps the ones
advising against using this particular card).  It seems that this card
was added to /etc/defaults/pccard.conf in the not-too-distant past, but I
couldn't find the relevant commit logs or any discussion about it.  Some
of the threads I found talked about a revision 2 card; mine appears to be
a revision 3.

Any input would be very welcome.  Please CC me as I am not currently
subscribed to the list.  Thank you,

JN