Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:12:41 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: powerd and nvidia drivers not playing nicely together (Was: Re: Systems running hot?)

b. f. wrote:
>> no X! So I think to myself, what else did I change last night.... oh
>> yeah, powerd! So I turn that off, and voila, X!
>
> Do you really mean powerd(8)?

I did, but the problem got worse. With the following:
performance_cx_lowest="C2"      # Online CPU idle state
economy_cx_lowest="C2"          # Offline CPU idle state

X would begin to start up, but it would stay with a black screen and
never complete. Changing all 4 settings (cpu_freq and cx) to NONE
allowed it to start up again.

If I change it to C2 after I'm running my window manager the temp
drops after 10 minutes or so and the fan speed goes down as well.

> Or the separate /etc/rc.d/power_profile
> ?  There was some confusion between the two earlier in this thread.
> What related settings are you using, via {rc,sysctl,loader}.conf?

/etc/rc.sysctl:
debug.debugger_on_panic=0
net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1
net.inet6.ip6.prefer_tempaddr=1
kern.module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;/usr/local/modules

/boot/loader.conf:
hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=3
umass_load="yes"
linux_load="YES"
nvidia_load="yes"
vboxdrv_load="yes"
if_wpi_load="yes"

> Which power-governing drivers are active on your machine: est? ichss?
> smist? p4tcc?

egrep 'est|ichss|smist|p4tcc' /var/run/dmesg.boot

est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1

> acpi_perf? acpi_throttle? acpi_thermal? acpi_video?

I haven't done anything special with the acpi stuff. The only thing
that looks relevant from dmesg is: acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0

> Which nvidia driver?

The latest.

> If you compile your kernel with options
> ACPI_DEBUG, and enable acpi debugging messages, do you see any
> errors/problems?

I can do the former easily enough, I assume to enable them I set
debug.acpi.disabled=0 in loader.conf?

Doug