Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:08:18 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Teaching parents UNIX

Cliff writes:

> One since Microsoft software is almost
> single-handedly responsible for the spread
> of viruses across the globe ...

Microsoft software is not responsible for the spread of viruses, any more
than water is responsible for the spread of cholera.  The more widely used a
given software product is, the more likely it is that children will write
viruses intended to infect that product; but that does not make the product
responsible for spreading the viruses.  That would be like saying that
Microsoft Word is responsible for the spread of great literature.

> ... then Microsoft should be responsible enough
> to give all users of their OS'es a lifetime
> subscription gratis to an anti-viral service.

Microsoft doesn't do this for a number of reasons, one of which is the risk
of liability should an anti-virus product fail to stop a virus.  Anti-virus
products only stop viruses that have already infected many thousands of
machines, for the most part.

> Solution 2. People should accept the expense
> of buying an anti-viral agent as being necessary
> to the safe-keeping of the Internet.

Viruses aren't common enough or caught easily enough to justify such
universal precautions.

> Solution 3. ISP's should be held responsible
> for any of their users who spread viruses through
> non-use of anti-viral agents.

That would deprive them of common-carrier status, as they would be
exercising control over content.  There are serious consequences to such a
move, and I'd recommend that ISPs avoid such actions at all costs.

> This is called social-responsibility.

You're overlooking the most obvious solution by far:  Don't open suspicious
attachments to e-mail.