Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:28:20 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Re: Learning the "correct way"...

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 04:33:24AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Len Conrad wrote:
>
> > "man sh" plus the .sh examples in the sytem are fine, but I can't find a
> > "Using the Bourne shell" on amazon or ora.com.  There's one for bash, for
> > csh/tcsh, but not specifically Bourne.
>
> "The UNIX programming environment" by Rob Pike,
> is an old time classic for beginners in UNIX.
> It might just help a bit :-)

Not only for beginners, it is indeed a classic book :)

The one for bash will get you on the road. Remember that bash is a
superset of the Bourne Shell, and the book probably starts off with the
common shell facilities.

However..look at:

http://hemsidor.torget.se/users/d/Devlin/shell

A google shell for "shell programming" gave this as it's first entry
(tut tut). Appears to be a Bourne shell tutorial, in downloadable zip
format as well as online.

--
Regards
Cliff