Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:53:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning: Select failed; error code 22

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> > I'm having trouble with certain X-programs. I can start the program, for
> > example xemacs, and run it for a few seconds, then it hangs and the
> > terminal I started it from is full with lines of "Warning: Select failed;
> > error code 22". I have to kill them.
>
> That's very interesting.  I've experienced the same exact thing but
> under Solaris 2.5 and CDE on an RDI Sparcbook.  The windows seem to
> lock (as if NUM lock were on in Xfree) and the mouse buttons don't
> work correctly.  Sometimes everything will return to normal and
> I'll get a few tens of messages saying the same thing:
>
>   Warning: Select failed; error code 22
>
> I narrowed down the problem to a faulty real-time clock on the Sparcbook.
> Sometimes it stops ticking (I can see this from Open Boot Prom) and that's
> when everything gets weird (which is what you'd expect!).  When the
> clock starts ticking again, the above warning messages spew out.
>
> Gotta bad clock?

After reading this, I think the clock is very likely the problem. I also
get console messages saying "calcru: negative time: -xxxxxxxxxx usec". I
will try with a new motherboard and se if it disappears.

/Jakob Alvermark

 Teligent AB, P.O. Box 213, S-149 23 Nynäshamn, Sweden
Telephone +46-(0)8 520 660 00 * Fax +46-(0)8 520 193 36
 Direct +46-(0)8 520 660 32 * GSM +46-(0)70 792 16 57