Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:55:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Eldridge <diz@cafes.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   finally :)

I finally got my Multia up and running FreeBSD 4.1 after I got the serial
cable I needed in the mail today.

I feel lost now.  I have grown so incredibly used to Linux over the past 4
years that everything feels out of place.  The whole master.passwd/vipw
thing screws with my head.  :)

I've had the kernel panic once shortly after I got it up and running with
a memory management fault.  Not quite sure what that was, but I do hope
none of this true parity memory is bad.  If it happens again, I'll be sure
to take note of the error, registers, etc, and pick all of your brains.

I want to put the alpha's serial console on my linux box's tty11, but I
can't quite figure out how I'd do that.  The getty runs on the receiving
end, so I can't just throw a getty up on tty11 cause it would throw a huge
hissy fit whenever it received the login banner from the other side.  I'm
sure it would be quite humorous to watch that for about 5 seconds.

I'm wondering if there is a simple serial communications proggie (minicom
> simple) that I can throw in my inittab to access the alpha's console
from this linux box's console.  I think it would be pretty nifty to have
tty11 actually be a terminal for a remote machine.

Now that I think about it, serial's pretty rough.  I'd be much better off
logging into the box via telnet/ssh than putting up with a < 112Kbps
serial link.

The install was pretty speedy for a multia, I was impressed.  Once I find
a couple more parts for my other multia, I'll be setting up a cluster.
I'll probably end up writing some goofy useless distributed proggie just
so I can say I ran a parallel multitasking app.  MPI/PVM is so nifty.  :)

I wonder how long it would take a pair of multia 166s to render Titanic.

Heh, while I was compiling bash, I noticed the extremely flagrant "The -O2
flag TRIGGERS KNOWN OPTIMIZER BUGS ON THIS PLATFORM" warning.  I thought
it was quite amusing, similar to the BUGS section of the gnu strtok(3)
manpage: "NEVER USE THIS FUNCTION!"  :)

goodnight,

Mike