Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:42:00 +0200
From:      Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PalTalk and NAT

Hi All!

I've got FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE connected to Internet (with public IP address)
and LAN 10.1.1/24. PCs and FreeBSD server are connected by hub.

I have to get PalTalk to work from LAN. I setup NAT on FreeBSD server and
now can ping, HTTP, etc. from my local network. So, I think that NAT is
setup properly. Also I don't deny any ports, address, etc. by IP Firewall
on FreeBSD.

PalTalk on my PC in LAN works properly, but I can't hear and say any
sounds in chat rooms. Mic, Sound Card and PalTalk work correctly if I use
public IP on my PC in LAN (FreeBSD server has alias with public IP address
for interface connected to LAN, so it is possible to do so).

As I understood PalTalk can't work with proxy servers (like Socks5), so I
decided to use NAT. Everything work, except sound (I repeat one more
time, that Mic and Sound Card work properly, see above). If I missed
something and OalTalk can work with Socks5 or with some kind of other
proxy (not NAT-like server) please tell me.

Did anybody use PalTalk from LAN? Can you use sound in such configuration
as my one?

Thanks for your future answers.

ps: please compu your answer on my email.