Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:17:01 -0400
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        Evgeny Solovyov <a.n.s.i@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on the firefox port...

Evgeny Solovyov wrote:
> $ make -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install clean
>
> or
>
> $ make FORCE_PKG_REGISTER="YES" install clean
>
> will set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER" to YES
>
> mojo fms wrote:
>> I am having an odd problem on the firefox port. This is a fresh
>> install of Freebsd 6 and basicly what its doing ...
>>
>> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
>> ===>  Checking if www/firefox already installed
>> ===>   firefox-1.5_5,1 is already installed
>>       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>>       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of www/firefox
>>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
>>
>> I have tried, make deinstall ; make reinstall same error. I am not
>> sure of what i should set FORCE_PKG_REGISTER to but i tried, YES,
>> www/firefox and NO for the settings on it. Running it like this :
>> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER="NO" make reinstall  ... i did this on make
>> reinstall and make install and nothing still..
>>

>> make deinstall ...
>>
>> root@# make deinstall
>> ===>  Deinstalling for www/firefox
>> ===>   firefox not installed, skipping
>> root@#
>>
>> any suggestions please.
>>
>> Thanks

Hi, this is my first time responding so forgive me if my etiquette is
not as it should be.

I'm certainly no expert and I genuinely mean that.  Having made that
clear up front here is what I would try:  (I'm assuming you are building
from the sources and not packages)

1:  I guess I'd make sure there were no remnants remaining from previous
failed firefox installs in directories like /usr/bin,  /usr/local/bin,
/usr/X11/bin etc.  I don't think make clean takes care of this.

2:  I believe there is a package database in use here but I'm not sure.
If there is a database perhaps it is in an inconsistent state and needs
to be rebuilt, if that is still possible.  If you use a ports management
utility like portupgrade (as an example I'm familiar with) then it is
possible for the database to sometimes be broken or so I have read.  To
determine and fix this I have read (and this is what I do) that it is
good to run pkgdb -F.  This finds and fixes database inconsistencies.

I ran into trouble using the make install clean routine when I was
building KDE.  I switched to using a combination of portsnap,
portupgrade, and the port-maintenance-tools

**** Warning: Use due diligence.  Double check these procedures for
yourself   ****

Let's make our ports management a little more robust

cd  /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
make install clean

from any directory

portupgrade -r portsnap
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract    {only if you've never ran portsnap before}
portsnap upgrade
portupgrade -Nr port-maint  {get port-maintenance-tools port}
portupgrade -Nr portman  {this gets portman and portmanager}
portsdb -u
pkgdb -F
portaudit -dfa  {man portaudit to verify f or F }
portupgrade -Nr firefox

**** Warning: Use due diligence.  Double check these procedures for
yourself   ****

There maybe tools here you don't absolutely need but you never know when
they will be useful.

The next ports management system I want to try out is using CVS instead
of portsnap.  This then allows a utility like portdowngrade to look at
CVS commits to decide how to uninstall "rollback" a bad installation, so
I've read.

I hope this helps

Best regards,

--Duane Whitty