Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 06:59:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options USER_LDT

In article <XFMail.011201170928.jhb_FreeBSD.org@ns.sol.net>,
	jhb@FreeBSD.ORG writes:

> On 02-Dec-01 Bruce Evans wrote:

>>> No, it's enabled by default, not disabled by default.
>>
>> Er, not in RELENG_4.  It can only be enabled by default if it doesn't exist,
>> as in -current :-).
>
> Ah, nm, I misread it thinking that the option was gone from 4.4 completely.  To
> answer the original question then: it's not enabled by default most likely
> because when it was added as a new feature it was left as an option that was
> off by default so that any bugs it might have wouldn't bite people he didn't
> need it.

Um, guys? I think your language is becoming too tortured. Does USER_LDT
still exist as a kernel option, and is it still doc'd in LINT? Does it
pose a security risk in the more current releases? And is it enabled now
by default, or simply depreciated, and no longer a possible "gotcha" in
running Wine or mplayer?

>> Bruce

Dave