Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:22:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Foxfair Hu <foxfair@news.ks.edu.tw>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Netscape 4.5 vulnerability

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Forwarded by Foxfair Hu <foxfair@news.ks.edu.tw>
> :---------------- Original message follows ----------------
> : From: Alexey Pavlov <paaa@UIC.NNOV.RU>
> : To: BUGTRAQ@netspace.org
> : Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:12:27 +0400
> : Subject: Netscape 4.5 vulnerability
> :--
> :
> :I found method how to get users passwords from Netscape 4.5 for FreeBSD
> : ~user/.netscape/liprefs.js file. This file is used for storing user
> :last
> :session preferences .This file also contains encrypted password for
> :pop3.
> :Not like a DES , this encryption can be decrypted. As a result of many
> :experiments i wrote this program. It gives me almost all passwords in my
> : system, because all people use Netscape.
> :Here is src of this decryption programm:
>
>     The 'security hole' is that netscape doesn't make the .netscape
>     directory 700.  I'd report it to netscape.  I dunno whether they
>     will do anything about it, though.

Huh.  Didn't do that for me; mine is safely readable and writable only for
my uid.  And there are a lot of posts to bugtraq about programs that store
passwords unencrypted and it always surprises me that people are still
complaining about it :-).  As you suggest, the real issue is the access
control used to protect the data object, which in Windows are nil, of
course.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/