Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:00:16 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        (Minh Vu) <minh@mds.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Download FreeBSD ???

On 17-Sep-98 Minh Vu wrote:
> I'm want to try this FreeBSD OS, but I don't know which files or the
> necessary files need to download and operate.

Take a look at the handbook at www.freebsd.org (or mirrors). The
instructions have all you need to get you started.

>I did download the floppy
> image and the fdimage.exe. Is it only those file that i need to ready
> operate FreeBSD OS ?

Those two files are enough to create a boot floppy. From there you MAY be
able to install the whole OS by ftp.

I say "you may", not because of the intallation program, but because of
your ISP. I have only done ftp installs a couple of times. One time I had
a provider which had the common ppp login while the second time I had to
ask in the lists for LOTS of help to find out how to connect to the other
ISP.

As an alternative you can get the CDrom from Walnut Creek. I highly
recommend this route. Can not only save you a lot of time, but since this
is your first intallation there may be lots of other things you are not
aware that you will soon find out you want. If you have the CD this will
help a lot.

If money is tight find a couple of friends to split the cost of the CD and
share it.