Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:23:42 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        "Graham Wheeler" <gram@cequrux.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound support broken in FreeBSD 4.0-S?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Graham Wheeler" <gram@cequrux.com>
To: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 10:00 AM
Subject: Sound support broken in FreeBSD 4.0-S?

> Hi all
>
> I have seen a few messages on this topic recently, and am experiencing
> problems myself, which makes me wonder whether sound support is broken
> in 4.0 stable?
>
> In my case I have a VIA sound card which gets correctly probed, and all
> looks well when I cat /dev/sndstat. In fact everything seems find except
> not a peep comes out of the speakers (tested against cdplay and x11amp).
> I've cranked the mixer settings all up to 100, so that isn't the
> explanation.
>
> For what its worth I've attached the dmesg and sndstat outputs.

This has happened to me before ... are you absolutely sure the speakers are
plugged into the correct jack?  Try moving them to different jacks, I
recently bought a Creative Ensoniq card with conflicting labels for where to
plug speakers in! (BTW, this card is a gem, sound quality is excellent,
especially compared to that cheapo SB16 ISA card I had been using.)