Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@wolf.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Setting up XFree86 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 box

This might be more appropriate for an XFree86 list; if so,
please accept my aplogies and maybe some direction as to where
to find the appropriate list.

I've been running FreeBSD 2.2.6 with XFree86 on my Pentium at
home for a few months with no problems.  I recently decided to
load FreeBSD on a really bizarre machine I've got sitting around -
a pseudo-laptop machine using a 486 on a PC-104 SBC.  The SBC
uses a Chips & Technologies 65545 LCD driver connected to a
passive color LCD.  Under WinBloze the display will run at
800x600 with 256 colors.

I am running XFree86 setup from the menu under /stand/sysinstall.
When I run "graphical setup" X does come up without a hitch, and
look pretty decent. If I then go through the selection processes
and select a C&T 65545 and select what I believe to be reasonable
horizontal and vertical frequencies, I can't run startx afterwards
(startx deletes all the ModeLines as being unreasonable). If I
get into the config utility and don't modify anything, just select
"Done" foloowed by "Okay" X comes up ok, asking me if I want to
run xvidtune, save the config, or bail out.  I select "Save
config", then run startx again.  Once more X refuses to start,
after deleting all the modelines and bitching about not being
able to find a modeline to match my default (640x480).

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this POS StarScreen
to run XFree86?  I'm about at the end of my rope here!

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com
dmahoney@pe.net