Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:03:47 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot manager

Russell D. Murphy wrote:

> After a hard disk replacement, I'm trying to install 3.1R from
> CD-ROM on a Gateway 5100 laptop.  It previously ran 2.2.8-Stable and
> W95.
>
> I'm doing something completely backwards because I cannot get the
> boot manager installed properly.
>
> I want a small (roughly 500MB) partition for W95 and the rest (roughly
> 3500MB) of the drive for FreeBSD.  After partitioning the drive into
>
>     450MB - DOS
>      58MB - FreeBSD
>    (rest) - FreeBSD
>
> (although I'm pretty sure I used to have 1GB for W95 and 3GB for
> FreeBSD, but trying the above to stay within the 1024 cylinder limit
> for the root partition) and installing / on the 1st FreeBSD partition,
> I invariably get the following prompt upon rebooting after the
> installation:
>
>      F1 - DOS
>      F2 - FreeBSD
>      F3 - FreeBSD
>      F5 - Disk0
>
> None of these will boot.  Choosing F5 will bring up a shorter list of
> choices, but I can't get past the boot manager menu.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Russ Murphy

Your BIOS is apparently not passing the expected drive number to the
boot manager.  There's a fix available at

    http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot0-1.7.tar.gz

See the README file for details.

It should be possible to boot either from CD-ROM or a floppy, in order
to install the new code.

--
Robert Nordier