Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:37:00 -0400
From:      "nw1" <network101@covad.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD-4.8-p10 <--> Random reboots after swapping motherboard, cpu, memory

September 26, 2003

I initially installed 4.4 or 4.5 (Dec., 2001) subsequently cvsup'ing since then (currently
at 4.8-p10); using the following hardware:

Main board - Tyan Tiger-MP (S-2460) | chipset: AMD-760 MPX

SMP using - AMD-MP 1800+'s

Ram - 768MB (crucial.com)

AGP - Matrox G450 eTV
Floppy drive = 1.44
Western digital = model # WD102AA Caviar (UDMA/66 primary master)
Maxtor = model # 52049H4 (UDMA/100)  -- Secondary master
Maxtor = model # 5T040H4 (UDMA/100) - Secondary slave
CD-rom = optional.

--------------

Because of serious issues with the above S-2460 board, we retired them in favor of the
Tyan S-2466.  Simply, we transferred the hardware from the S-2460; to the S-2466 board.
Everything seemed to run fine.

Something unrelated happened with the S-2466 causing us to RMA the S-2466 board(s).  While
those boards are being dealt with, we're left a few older Intel platforms/hardware to work
with:

Giga-byte - GA-6BXDS

1.       Intel 82440 BX AGPset

2.       iTE 8671 I/Oset (1Mb/S)

3.       Winbond 83781 Health Chip

4.       Adaptec 7895 Dual Channel Ultra Wide SC

We basically took our IDE devices and installed them on the gigabyte board.  Things seem
to run OK, but that's not the case.  The following three things stand out:

The machine randomly reboots while sitting idle -or semi-idle.  With the exception of the
normal processes that start post boot.  E.g. ntpd, ntpdate, mbmon (from ports) nothing to
intensive.  ß From the console standpoint, and that's our main concern. (console).

In addition, from the console, our mouse has stopped working with the following line in
our /etc/rc.conf  'moused_enabled="YES"'.  Our mouse is a Logitech cordless optical Model
number:M-RM67A (with fresh batteries).

The above works fine with the TYAN boards in place.

--Console Summary-

The machine randomly reboots.

The mouse doesn't respond/move in the console.

-- Within XFree86 -

X seems to run fine, but the mouse refuses to respond/work.

I'm thinking this has something to do with the different boards or chipsets, however, we
have no idea where to begin in order to fix this.

Respectfully yours,

TR