Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:36:56 +0930
From:      Adam Smith <adam@internode.com.au>
To:        Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup vs portupgrade

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 01:34:33PM +0800, Stephen Liu said:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am still not very clear on the function between
>
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
> and
>
> # portupgrade -aRr
>
> I have following questions;
>
> 1) What will be their diffenece in function
>
> 2) If having run
>
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/ports-supfile
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
> Whether I still need to run
>
> # portupgrade -aRr

Stephen,

If you've installed the three files into /etc that I pointed out in the
last message you sent (the three files are at http://www.bugman.cx/cvsup/)
and changed the relevant cvsup hosts and global options in make.conf, you
should be set.

To upgrade my system completely, I usually run:

# cd /usr/ports && make update && portupgrade -Oar

If any of these commands fail (eg if make update fails) the command
following it will not be executed.  It's an easy way of upgdating the
system in one go.  Alternatively you can run them one by one if you wish.

The 'make update' portion will update the ports tree (the software
library/catalogue if you like) and the portupgrade portion of the command
will start updating software from this tree.

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net

Dog for sale:  Eats lots and is fond of children.