Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:55:20 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsdtar eats CPU when extracting POSIX tar archive

Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>I'm suspicious that all of the time being used is
>>system time.
>
> Thank you for your investigation.  This problem is happened on my dual
> P-III box, but I cannot reproduce it on another P4 box.  I'll try what
> is different on them.
>
> http://www.imgsrc.co.jp/~kuriyama/tmp/20040826-tar-kdump.log.gz
>
> Looks kqueue related?

Looks like it could be network related.  I see almost
5,000 calls to recvfrom.  With that much network I/O,
any network issues on that box would definitely cause problems.

Do you know what's causing that?  Is it uid/gid lookups,
perhaps?  bsdtar does not (yet) do any caching of uid/gid
lookups; once I implement that, it will definitely have a
big performance impact for folks using NIS or LDAP.  But
that still seems like a lot.  I wonder if there's something
else going on?

Tim