Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 95 17:31:16 EDT
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        whuff@uwohali.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with QIC-80 tape

> Have a pretty generic 486 box running 2.0R, 8MB memory, 100MB IDE
> drive (yeah, it's small, but the machine isn't used for much more
> than bootp, outgoing mail, and DNS).  I had a spare Colorado Jumbo
> 250 I hung off the floppy cable in place of drive B to use for
> backups.  Well, the darn thing just won't work.  The kernel sees it
> cause I get this during bootup:

Hmmm, for some reason I think the Jumbo-250 needs to be on the special
connector that taps into the floppy cable.  Not sure if your configuration
would work and definately could lead to bizzare behavior.  Try hooking
up the drive using the correct cabling (i.e. not using the connectors
that are assigned to drive A/B).

Not sure if this will help, but I have mine hooked up the "described"
way and it all works.  Personally I don't trust these drives (you *MUST*
reread what you write!  Don't assume it made it on tape... more times
than I care to admit I didn't and paid the price!).

- jeff