Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 13:12:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Jon Larssen <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW + NATD + stateful ruleset?

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Jon Larssen wrote:

> from reading the list archives it seems that currently a stateful IPFW
> rule in a box that also does the NAT doesn't work well. Granted, I
> need to study more on the subject;

	Your assumptions are correct, stateful ipfw & nat is
	painful, maybe not even doable reliably.  There are workarounds
	though...one of which is to run ipfilter.  There are other options
	like running ppp -nat.  Several web sites mention the other
	techniques to get around this annoiance.

> but, can I still use a stateful rule in the non-NATted interface? (the
> public one)

	Yes, you can run stateful inspection on a non natd'd interface
	easily.  man ipfw.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets