Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 14:52:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@lambda.demon.co.uk>
To:        gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, ache@astral.msk.su, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just FYI, gcc 2.7.0 is out, do we plan to switch to it?

> >>2.7.0 -- no way.
> >>2.7.1 -- maybe
> >>2.7.2 -- probably.
> >
> >I want to get correct support for freebsd in it (it still has a 1.x
> >freebsd.h with the most inappropriate parts `#if 0'ed...).  2.7.1 may
> >be too late to start.  2.7.0 may be too late to start.
> >
> >Bruce
>
> I second Bruce on this.  We have a "stable" branch now, so there is
> no harm in bringing a new gcc in now on the 2.2 branch.  The sooner
> we know about the problems in the 2.7 series, the sooner we can work
> to get them fixed and report them back to the FSF.

I'm keen to upgrade sooner rather than later, 2.2 is a fair way off, we have
time to shake out a compiler upgrade.

The problem of course is that you might be banging your head against the
wall thinking why your latest change is broken and it turns out the compiler
is causing it.

We need a way to run the old compiler in these situations to eliminate the
new compiler from the equation.

I alos think gcc should be ported to BSD from scratch so it's ready for
multi-arch and placed properly on a vendor branch. Any FreeBSD specific
fixes currently in our cvs tree need to be pulled out and passed back to
the FSF.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul